(6 Dec 2012) HEADLINE: Smokers celebrate as Wash. legalizes marijuana
CAPTION: Washington state’s law legalizing marijuana took effect early Thursday, and some celebrated by violating the law, lighting up in public under Seattle’s Space Needle. (Dec. 6)
Seattle, Washington – December 5
1. WS of man with bullhorn announcing 7 minutes to legal marijuana
2. SOUNDBITE: James Dean, of Vancouver, British Columbia (English): “Letting you know I’m supporting what you guys are all doing here. I’m loving it here. I’m getting high for you. Here we go: One small toke for man, on giant toke for mankind.”
3. CS James Dean smokes marijuana and reacts to its effects
4. CS of man wearing a ‘God made grass’ marijuana sweatshirt, dancing to music on his iPod
5. SOUNDBITE: “Mike Enigma” (English): “I smoke weed. (What else?) I sell weed, I love weed. It keeps us from losing our damn minds in this travesty of the world.”
6. Zoom in of woman smoking a joint
7. SOUNDBITE: Patrick Njoroge, a nurses aid originally from Kenya (English): “When something is illegal, you kind of think you’re doing something bad. But now since it’s public, you can just use it and be free. Just like the reggae (??) says ‘be free’. We live in a country of freedom. Just feel free and think free.
8. MS of man smoking as crowd cheers him on
9. SOUNDBITE: A man who is known as “Professor Gizmo”: “If our forefathers could only see us now.” (laughs)
10. Pan down of people in walking near The Space Needle
Crowds of happy people lighting joints under Seattle’s Space Needle early Thursday morning with nary a police officer in sight.
The scene bespoke the new reality: Marijuana is legal under Washington state law.
Hundreds gathered for a New Year’s Eve-style countdown to 12 a.m., when the legalization measure passed by voters last month took effect.
When the clock struck, they cheered and sparked up in unison.
Technically, Washington’s new marijuana law still forbids smoking pot in public, which remains punishable by a fine, like drinking in public.
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/b9c7a8b1b1b8b465b03343a8d112956e